Niagara Falls—背景篇 2014/06/23 ~ 2014/06/24

Niagara Falls is the collective name for three waterfalls that straddle the international border between Canada and the United States; more specifically, between the province of Ontario and the state of New York. They form the southern end of the Niagara Gorge, 17 miles from Buffalo, NY, and 75 miles from Toronto.

p.s. 尼加拉瀑布(“Niagara Falls"一詞,源自於印第安語,意為「雷神之水Thunder of Waters」)、伊瓜蘇瀑布(Iguazu Falls,位於巴西和阿根廷邊界,實為一組瀑布群,由275股大小瀑布或急流組成)、維多利亞瀑布(Victoria Falls,位於非洲贊比西河的中游,尚比亞與辛巴威之間)並稱為世界三大跨國瀑布。

From largest to smallest, the three waterfalls are the Horseshoe Falls, the American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls. Approximately 90% of the Niagara River, after diversions for hydropower generation, flows over Horseshoe Falls. The remaining 10% flows over the American Falls. This accounts for 75,750 gallons of water per second over the American and Bridal Veil Falls and 681,750 gallons per second over the Horseshoe Falls.

Panoramic_View_of_Niagara_FallsAmerican Falls (between Prospect Point and Luna Island) far left                                              Bridal Veil Falls (between Luna Island and Goat Island) mid left                                                 Canadian Falls (between Goat Island and Table Rock) right                                                         (http://www.niagarafallslive.com/)

Horseshoe Falls

graduation trip (2014) 195-2Horseshoe Falls, also known as the Canadian Falls, is located between Terrapin Point on Goat Island in New York State, and Table Rock on the Ontario side of the falls (mostly on the Canadian side). The Horseshoe Falls drops an average of 57 metres (188 ft.) into the Lower Niagara River with the crest line approximately 670 metres (2,200 ft.) wide.

Bridal Veil Falls

graduation trip (2014) 288-3

graduation trip (2014) 229Bridal Veil Falls (far right) is also known as the Luna Falls or Iris Falls. With a crest of 15 meters (50 ft.) wide, Bridal Veil Falls is the smallest of the 3 waterfalls that make up Niagara Falls. Luna Island separates it from the American Falls and Goat Island separates it from the Horseshoe Falls.

American Falls

graduation trip (2014) 229-1 American Falls is also known as the Rainbow Falls. Unlike Horseshoe Falls, the American Falls is completely located in New York. The crest line of the American Falls is approximately 260 metres (850 ft.) wide. The height of the American Falls ranges between 21 to 34 metres (70 to 110 ft.). This measurement is taken from the top of the Falls to the top of the rock pile at the base, called the talus (broken rock ) slope.

p.s. There are two ways to experience Niagara Falls: the American way, and the Canadian way.niagarafalls

The American way involves visiting Niagara Falls State Park, an area that’s quite literally in the middle of the falls, and devoid of commercial development.graduation trip (2014) 664

The Canadian way involves walking down a long, crowded, commercially developed promenade, and gazing across the Niagara River at the falling water.graduation trip (2014) 279

廣告
本篇發表於 旅途中, 佇足。將永久鏈結加入書籤。

發表迴響

在下方填入你的資料或按右方圖示以社群網站登入:

WordPress.com Logo

您的留言將使用 WordPress.com 帳號。 登出 / 變更 )

Twitter picture

您的留言將使用 Twitter 帳號。 登出 / 變更 )

Facebook照片

您的留言將使用 Facebook 帳號。 登出 / 變更 )

Google+ photo

您的留言將使用 Google+ 帳號。 登出 / 變更 )

連結到 %s