歌德故居Goethehaus—http://www.goethehaus-frankfurt.de/ The Goethehaus is the parental home of Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (28 August 1749 – 22 March 1832), who is commonly known as the greatest writer in the German language. Goethe was born in this house (Großer Hirschgraben 23) and spent his youth here until he went to Leipzig to study law.
History of the Goethehaus The house was bought in 1733 by Goethe’s grandmother, hostess of a guest house on the Zeil. It was in fact two neighboring half-timbered houses from around 1600. In 1755 Goethe’s father, a lawyer, extensively remodeled the buildings into one coherent high-baroque house, but he kept the two medieval-style overhangs.
The house was sold by the Goethe family in 1795 and went through several modifications until it was purchased in 1863 by geologist Otto Volger (1822–1897), who restored it to the condition the Goethe family had left it in, as a monument to its famous inhabitant.
The Goethehaus reflects the lifestyle enjoyed by affluent 17th century Germans. It is decorated with different art forms like baroque, neoclassical and rococo. It was rebuilt between 1947 and 1951 after wartime destruction in 1944.
Katharinenkirche is the largest Lutheran church in Frankfurt am Main, dedicated to the martyred early Christian saint, Catherine of Alexandria. It is located in the old city centre at the entrance to the Zeil, the central shopping street.
The current church building, built between 1678 and 1681 replaced the St. Catherine’s and Barbara Chapel from the late 14th century. This church is built in the baroque style and stands 54 meters in height. It has an ornamental tower with a lantern on the top, and a beamed hall. Katharinenkirche was destroyed in 1944 by the Allied bombing of Frankfurt am Main during the Second World War. The city reconstructed its church between 1950 and 1954.
p.s. The German writer, artist, and politician Johann Wolfgang von Goethe was baptized in this church in 1749.
采爾大道Zeil—Frankfurt’s oldest and biggest pedestrian shopping street Once the center for large scale cattle trading, this old and busy shopping lane extends from the Konstablerwache Plaza (east) to the Hauptwache Plaza (west) in Frankfurt.
The Zeil has been Frankfurt’s retail hub since the 14th century. The name Zeil is from the German Zeile that means” row”. At first it meant a row of residential houses that later became the city’s popular marketplace. Before World War II the street had many grand buildings that were destroyed and subsequently restored.
GALERIA Kaufhof | An der Hauptwache
The fine sandstone façade has been opened up to let in daylight – 1,500 square metres of windows create an expansive, transparent front extending to a height of 18 metres.
Zeilgalerie This shopping center, opened in September 1992, is ten stories tall (one of which is underground) and features a unique spiral-shaped interior design. An open-air observation deck presents nice views of the city.
Architects Kramm and Strigl decided to make the interior floors slope so that a visitor is able to walk to the top of the building without stairs or escalators (although there are central glass elevators and escalators).
MyZeilThe MyZeil, opened on 26 February 2009, is a shopping mall in the city center of Frankfurt, designed by Roman architect Massimiliano Fuksas. It is part of the building ensembles PalaisQuartier and forms its access to the Zeil shopping street.
Modern architecture and baroque are blended in this 6-story shopping center. The building has a spectacular vortex like glass façade, glass columns and irregular shaped ramps. The gross floor under the vaulted structure of about 3,200 triangular glass surfaces is 77,000 square metres. The structural design of the imposing steel and glass construction is by Knippers Helbig from Stuttgart. The 6000 m2 of roof collects its rainwater for reuse. A 45m long express-escalator connects the street level directly with a Piazza in the 4th floor containing catering and the accesses to the areas of Fitness, Wellness and Kids- world above. Vast elevators circulate people efficiently from store to store.
Freßgass—eatery row Freßgass (officially Kalbächer Gasse and Große Bockenheimer Straße) is the well-established name for a pedestrian-only street section between Börsenstraße and Opernplatz in the city centre. The name literally translates as “devour alley" because of its high concentration of gastronomy, but lately more and more prestigious shops (e.g. Apple Store, Hugo Boss, and Porsche Design) move here, due to a lack of space in the neighbouring Goethestraße, and displace old-established restaurants, butchers or delicatessen.
This 280m long Freßgass is the third largest pedestrian area of Frankfurt. Visitors will fall in love with the cafés, restaurants, and exclusive shops.
舊歌劇院Alte Oper The Alte Oper is located at the Opernplatz, a square at the northwest corner of Frankfurt’s inner city. It is a grand building which dominates the square it fronts on to, with a magnificent fountain outside.
The building was designed by the Berlin architect Richard Lucae and built by Philipp Holzmann. Construction began in 1873. On October 20, 1880 the new Opera House (today the “Alte Oper") opened with Mozart’s Don Giovanni in the presence of Kaiser Wilhelm I. The Alte Oper was almost completely destroyed by bombs during World War II in March 1944 was reopened on August 28, 1981. While the exterior and the lobby were rebuilt faithful to the original (neo-Renaissance), most of the interior is built as a modern multipurpose complex with concert halls (while operas are performed in the Oper Frankfurt) and a congress center.The building is particularly beautiful, lighted up at night with magnificent statues of Goethe and Mozart looking down on the plaza below.
The inscription on the frieze of the Alte Oper says: “Dem Wahren, Schönen, Guten" (“To the true, the beautiful, the good"). p.s. The building is particularly beautiful, lighted up at night with magnificent statues of Goethe and Mozart looking down on the plaza below.
歌德大街Goethestraße 290m long Goethestraße is Frankfurt’s most expensive shopping street with prestigious shops like Louis Vuitton, Prada, Gucci, Tiffany, Giorgio Armani, Versace, Cartier, Burberry, Vertu and Bulgari.
Hauptwache—The former guard-house, now a café The baroque building which gave the square its name was built in 1730 situated in the city centre opposite to Katharinenkirche.
The Hauptwache was designed by German master builder, Johann Jakob Samhammer. The building has a red sandstone baroque style exterior and a hipped Gothic style triangular roof with three chimneys. The original purpose of the structure was to serve as the seat of the city’s defense authorities and also contained a prison. The Hauptwache played its role in Frankfurt’s history when it was stormed by student activists in a failed attempt at freeing political prisoners on the 3rd of April in 1833 called the Frankfurter Wachensturm . In 1866, when Prussia annexed the city and took over military activities, the Hauptwache lost its military function and was used as a police station.
p.s. The Hauptwache was rebuilt in 1954 after it was heavily damaged by bombardments during the Second World War. Located at the central point of the city’s public transportation, the Hauptwache became an obstacle when the U-Bahn was built so in 1967 the building was dismantled stone by stone and later rebuilt on top of the U-Bahn station with the gable relief by J. B. Schwarzenberger. In 2002, take over of the café by Sam Kamran with complete redesign of the interior and re-opining of the Metropolitan Grand Café.
Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof The foundation stone of the Frankfurter Hof was laid on 29th October 1872. On 26th June 1876 the grand hotel with the name “Frankfurter Hof” opened its doors with a large ceremony.
The impressive new building was built by the architects Mylius and Bluntschli, 250 rooms (350 beds), 20 banquet rooms, a large dining hall created for 800 persons, elevators, steam heating and a spacious kitchen with 6.5 m high ceilings astonish guests as well as hoteliers from all over the world.
歐元大廈Eurotower Eurotower is a 40-storey, 148 m skyscraper located at Willy-Brandt-Platz in Frankfurt’s central business district, the Bankenviertel, vis-à-vis to the Opern- und Schauspielhaus. The building serves as the seat of the European Central Bank (ECB), which occupies most of its 78,000 m2 (840,000 sq ft) of office space.
The concrete tower with a light gray non bearing aluminum and glass façade was designed by architect Richard Heil and was built between 1971 and 1977. The first main tenant was the Bank für Gemeinwirtschaft. The building was later used by the European Monetary Institute, which was the forerunner of the European Central Bank that was established in 1998.
p.s. The first Euro was made within the Eurotower and a symbol of the Euro can be seen in front of the building. The European Central Bank is responsible for safeguarding the value of this new European currency.
Opern- und Schauspielhaus Frankfurt—the opera and drama theatres 1963 the building with its large stages for opera and drama and spectacular glass front designed by the Apel & Beckert architect firm was opened 1987 opera fly tower destroyed by arsonist 1991 re-opened