p.s. Known as the Hafen to locals, the port was founded on May 7th 1189 and has been a focus for shipbuilding and trade for over 800 years. Every year Hamburg’s inhabitants with a variety of activities are celebrating this day.
魚市場Fischmarkt Hamburg Moin, Moin—welcome to the Hamburg Fischmarkt! Every Sunday morning from 5 to 9:30 a.m. (7 a.m. from Nov. 16th to Mar. 14th) Hamburg’s historical and traditional Fish market takes place. It’s Hamburg’s oldest, most traditional open-air market which dates back to 1703 and located at the Hamburg harbor, between St. Pauli Hafenstraße and Große Elbstraße directly at the bank of the river Elbe.
The highlight, however, is the old fish auction building itself – Fischauktionshalle – a very impressive structure was restored in 1982. Here the party continues for some, or just gets started for others with a live band and a hearty breakfast.
登陸棧橋St. Pauli-Landungsbrücken While large pleasure cruise ships, sail boats and navy ships tie up on the “Überseebrücke" (a jetty for ocean going ships), the lighter launches use the “Landungsbrücken", a smaller jetty to start their popular and well-known sightseeing tours around the harbour.
The St. Pauli Landungsbrücken, also referred to as the St. Pauli Landing Bridges and St. Pauli Piers, part of the Hamburg Harbour, are in the quarter St. Pauli, between the lower harbour and the Fischmarkt directly on the Elbe River. It consists of a floating pontoon facility about 688 metres in length and connected to the shore through ten gangways.
The Landungsbrücken today is a major tourist attraction. Enjoying historic building protection, the massive building up on the promenade was once a passenger handling hall. Several entrances lead down from it to the points where the ships tie up.
There is an entrance to the Old Elbe tunnel directly at the western end of the Landungsbrücken (right). The eastern end of the building complex is marked by the Pegelturm. (http://www.fotos-aus-der-luft.de/)
Halfway up the tower on the side of the Elbe embedded in the wall, is a water level indicator, which gives the current condition of the tides. Its second function is the Clock and Bell Tower. The bell rings out the hour and half hours.
p.s. The first Landungsbrücken piers were built in 1839 and served as moorings for steamers at the harbor’s edge, away from the city and danger of fires from their coal-fired operation. Later, the 688 meters long Landungsbrücken complex was constructed between 1907 and 1909 by Ludwig Raabe and Otto Wöhlecke in the same location as the old Landungsbrücken. It was designed as a representative shipping station; consist of floating pontoons, which are accessible from land by ten movable bridges. Unfortunately, the new piers were destroyed during the Second World War, so today’s pontoons were rebuilt between 1953 and 1955. Also, this complex was classified as a historical monument on 15 September 2003.
老易北河隧道St. Pauli- Elbtunnel—Alter Elbtunnel The distinctive rectangular dome structure of the St. Pauli Elbtunnel is situated at the west end of the jetties. It was built between 1907 and 1911 and uses four large elevators inside the dome buildings to take pedestrians and vehicles travel down to the tunnel which is 23.5 metres below the river.
The Alter Elbtunnel reaches the shipyard island Steinwerder on the other side after a distance of approximately 426 meters. Via two tubes with 6 mdiameter tiled tunnels, Alte Elbtunnel is the shortest connection between St. Pauli and the opposite bank.
p.s. The New Elbe Tunnel, part of the Autobahn A7, is 3km west of the old one and opened in 1975. It currently has four passageways.
Cap San Diego is the last classic cargo freighter that was built in 1960, shortly before container-ships took over the business much more efficiently.
Today this ship is a museum and you may walk around the ship freely and without restrictions. See the big cranes and look down to the many floors of the cargo-halls. On one of the decks you may watch an old film about this ship sailing between South-America and Europe back in 1960.
p.s. Notable for its elegant silhouette, it was the last of a series of six ships known as the white swans of the south atlantic. The 159 m, 10000 dwt ship ran a regular schedule between Germany and South America, completing 120 round trips until 1981. It was bought by the city of Hamburg in 1986. In 2001, the ship was awarded the Maritime Heritage Award by the World Ship Trust, and in 2003 it was declared a protected item of cultural heritage by German law.
Rickmer Rickmers is one of the last merchant sailing ships (three masted barque) and was built in 1896. It is permanently moored as a museum ship in the port of Hamburg, near the Cap San Diego.
The ship is painted a distinctive green. On the 7th May 1983 she made her first appearance at her new home (purchased by an organization named “Windjammer für Hamburg e.V."), the Hamburg harbor, and for a couple of days the public had the chance to have a dose look at the old / new RJCKMIER RICKMERS.
p.s. Rickmer Rickmers is not just a museum. The owner transformed this ship into a bar and restaurant with a jazz program offered in the middle of the harbour.
HafenCity Hamburg Whether it is the historical warehouse complex in Speicherstadt, or the currently under-construction Elbe Philharmonic Hall, there is a lot to explore in the HafenCity quarter, located right on the river Elbe. HafenCity Hamburg is a project of city-planning (announced in 1997) where the old port warehouses of Hamburg are being replaced with offices, hotels, shops, official buildings, and residential areas. The project is the largest rebuilding project in Europe in scope of landmass (approximately 2.2 km²). When completely developed, it will be home to about 12,000 people and the workplace of 40,000 people mostly in office complexes. The prospect for completion is not very clear, but will probably be around 2020-2030.(http://www.hafen-hamburg.de/)
倉庫城Speicherstadt The Speicherstadt, 1.5 km long and pervaded by loading canals, is the largest timber-pile founded warehouse district in the world. It is located in the port of Hamburg—within the HafenCity quarter—and was built from 1883 to 1927.
The warehouses were built with different support structures, but Andreas Meyer created a Neo-Gothic red-brick outer layer with little towers, alcoves, and glazed terra cotta ornaments. The warehouses are multi-storey buildings (up to seven stories) with entrances from water and land.
p.s. Because of the new division, the Speicherstadt now belongs to the administrative region of the northern part of HafenCity instead of part of the Altstadt. However, the term HafenCity is primarily used to refer to the area of city development, whereas Speicherstadt is seen as a separate quarter.
易北愛樂廳Elbphilharmonie— under construction since 2 April 2007 易北愛樂廳是由具有創新精神的瑞士Herzog & de Meuron (Pierre de Meuron)建築師事務所設計(2001年榮獲普立茲克建築獎)，在港口城區最引人注目、令人印象深刻的建築。它加蓋在位於易北河的歷史貨棧— Kaispeicher A上(七層樓高的國王倉庫，它原是用來儲存可可豆)，是一件融合建築、精美音樂和碼頭上唯一貨棧的藝術品。保持原貌的碼頭倉庫和從大門到波浪形的屋頂都是用閃閃發光的玻璃結構建造的，勢必將成為漢堡新市鎮HafenCity的地標。
The Grand Hall seems to float above the distinctive factory, clothed in a tent-like glass facade. The highly articulated facade is designed in different sections to provide appropriate sun protection depending upon function and orientation. Once complete in 2017, the building will include a 250 room five-star hotel (Westin Hamburg, scheduled to open in 2014), and 47 apartments, in addition to a philharmonic hall of 2,150-seats and a chamber music hall of 550 seats. It will be the tallest inhabited building of Hamburg, with a final height of 110m..
(photographed by Frank Dinger/bcmng)