Situated in the Hotel Louis C. Jacob, a few miles west of town, the Jacobs Restaurant takes advantage of its location overlooking the Elbe River with spectacular panoramic views. (http://www.hotel-jacob.de/en/startseite/)
Hotel Louis C. Jacob
The oldest part of the present-day Hotel Louis C. Jacob, the far eastern corner of the building complex, was laid in 1780, when the confectioner Nikolaus Paridom Burmester, inherited house no. 401 on the Elbchaussee (used to be a inn since 1765, then a Hotel-Restaurant since 1791) and began to produce delicious cakes and pastries for appreciative customers. Nikolaus not only ran a successful business here, he also saluted all the passing ships with cannon shut fired from his river bank. Unfortunately, on June 18, 1790, a shot backfired and poor Nicolaus died of his injuries, leaving behind a beautiful widow.
A French Huguenot by the name of Daniel Louis Jacques, who had fled the French Revolution, arrived in Hamburg to make a new life. Monsieur Jacques, who later called himself Jacob, had worked in the Hamburg area as a landscape gardener. He was not only attracted by the beautiful banks of the Elbe River, but also by the widow Elisabeth Burmester and her successful confectioner’s shop. On March 16, 1791, Daniel Louis Jacob married Elisabeth Burmester. He did not waste time and immediately started to enlarge the building.
p.s. This love story was told by a hotel employee while she escorted me to the dinning room. At Hotel Louis C. Jacob, 143 employees take care of a maximum of 170 guests in 64 deluxe rooms and 21 suites. That’s called Hanseatic excellence!
The More Recent Hotel History
The First World War brought about major social changes. The fourth generation of hotel owners, Louis Heinrich Jacob, died in 1922. He was considered the strongest personality of the founding family. His son Louis Carl Matthias Jacob was different and dedicated himself mainly to the import of spirituous beverages. In 1925 a tenant took it over and changeful times began. After the Second World War, it became a transit hotel for British occupying officers, later provided quarters for the Royal Air Force and finally even served as a children’s home. Difficult times with different tenants and owners followed. Only when the family of the merchant Host Rahe took over the Louis C. Jacob (1991) exactly 200 years after the Frenchman Daniel Louis Jacques, the renaissance of the place was insured. From 1993 to 1996, the hotel was fully restored by the Lübeck architectural office of Helmut Riemann and its reopening as a hotel in 1996. When the Rahe/Schmittner family hired Jost Deitmar as hotel director in 1997, things improved dramatically. The hotel was enlarged and with Thomas Martin a great chef hired. On July 1, 2002 Hotel Louis C. Jacob joined the prestigious association of The Leading Hotels of the World.
p.s. Robert Redford (my first idol) and Sybille Szaggars married in July 2009 in the Hotel Louis C. Jacob.
A Hotel with an Art Collection—It all began from the Lindenterrasse! The terrace of the Hotel Louis C. Jacob has attracted many artists, even more so after the establishment of the Hamburg Artists Club (Hamburger Künstlerclub) in 1897. In 1902 they came to the Gasthaus Louis C. Jacob for a conversation with the celebrated painter Max Liebermann. After five generations’ collecting, the Hotel Louis C. Jacob features one of the largest private art collections in the north of Germany. Each hotel room displays two, three or even more pieces of graphic art. At least one of them is from an artist from Hamburg. They are grouped according to subjects, moods and colors.
Lindenterrasse /Restaurant Terrace On the hotel’s terrace, guests can dine and drink while watching ships sail down the mighty Elbe River. What a great way to start the dinner— under a canopy of linden leaves with a glass champagne and tapas.
Jacobs Restaurant provides Michelin-starred chef Thomas Martin’s contemporary cuisine, light and fresh with lots of locally produced legumes, sea food and meats, supplemented by the restaurant’s excellent wine cellar.