Built on the historical site at the corner of Friedrichstraße and Unter den Linden, The Westin Grand Berlin, then known as the Grand Hotel Berlin, opened on August 1, 1987, right on time for the 750th jubilee celebrations of the city of Berlin. (http://www.westingrandberlin.com/en)
Entering the lobby, the sight of the open-plan staircase and the stunning octagonal, 30-metre-high atrium with imposing glass ceiling is sure to put you in awe. p.s. Just recall the scene in The Bourne Supremacy, where Matt Damon runs down the famous staircase.
Due to its convenient location, Friedrichstraße shopping district, Gendarmenmarkt, and Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas are just few minutes walking distance way. Let’s go!
御林廣場/憲兵廣場Gendarmenmarkt— a neoclassical square
The Gendamenmarkt in Birlin-Mitte is one of the most attractive squares in the city. Framed by Französischer Dom to the north (right) and the Deutscher Dom to the south (left), the Konzerthaus Berlin situated in the middle of the complex. The Friedrich Schiller statue (by Reinhold Bergas) erected in front of it impressively dominates the corresponding square.
p.s. The square was created by Johann Arnold Nering at the end of the seventeenth century as the Linden-Markt and reconstructed by George Christian Unger in 1773. The Gendarmenmarkt is named after the cuirassier regiment Gens d’Armes, which was deployed at this square until 1773. During World War II, most of the buildings were badly damaged or destroyed. Today all the buildings have been restored to their former state.
The French Cathedral , not itself a church, was constructed in 1784 (by Carl von Gontard) beside the Französische Friedrichstadtkirche (built in 1705). The whole complex is often called the Französischer “Dom”, which in German would mean “cathedral”, though in fact comes from the French world “dome” meaning “cupola”.
Französischer Dom was built on the French churchyard at the order of Frederic II for the decorative purposes, together with the Deutscher Dom “opposite”. The viewing platform and a carillon were added in 1987.
The Konzerthaus Berlin is the most recent building on the Gendarmenmarkt. It was built by Karl Friedrich Schinkel in 1821 as a theatre under the name of the Schauspielhaus Berlin. p.s. April 22, 1945 was the last concert evening before the Schauspielhaus be destroyed.
The Schauspielhaus Berlin was based on the ruins of the National Theatre, which was destroyed by fire in 1817. Like the other buildings on the square, it was also badly damaged during World War II. The reconstruction, finished in 1984, turned the theatre into a concert hall. In 1994, its name changed to The Konzerthaus Berlin. Today, it is the home of the Konzerthausorchester Berlin. p.s. Richard Wagner conducts the Berlin premiere of his opera “The Flying Dutchman” on January 07, 1844 here.
廣場上無意間發現的「碑」，或許稍稍可以解釋在此取景的理由。 p.s. Johann Georg Adam Forster (November 27, 1754– January 10, 1794) was a German naturalist, ethnologist, travel writer, journalist, and revolutionary. At an early age, he accompanied his father on several scientific expeditions, including James Cook’s second voyage to the Pacific. His report from that journey, A Voyage Round the World, contributed significantly to the ethnology of the people of Polynesia and remains a respected work. As a result of the report Forster was admitted to the Royal Society at the early age of twenty-two and came to be considered one of the founders of modern scientific travel literature.
It was modified in 1785 by Carl von Gontard, who built the domed tower. The German Cathedral was completely destroyed by fire in 1945, during World War II. After German reunification it was rebuilt, finished in 1993 and re-opened in 1996 as a museum of German history.
Friedrichstraße — Berlin’s Version of 5th Avenue
Friedrichstraße extends on a length of 3.3 km north-south extension, directly through the centre of Berlin, starting at Oranienburger Tor and ending at Mehringplatz/ Hallesches Tor. From 1961 to 1989 it was divided by the Berlin Wall and the crossing point was the legendary “Checkpoint Charlie".
Flair and elegance: Friedrichstraße is the most legendary street in the city and combines the tradition of the “Golden Twenties" with the architecture of the New Berlin.
The connected buildings of the Friedrichstadt Passages (an underground shopping arcade) are especially outstanding. p.s. Right behind these buildings the Gendarmenmarkt can be found.
The Quartier 207 on the left, built by Ateliers Jean Nouvel Emmanuel Catanni & Associes (1996), the Quartier 206 on the middle built by Pei Cobb Freed & Partners (1996), and on the far right is the subsequent Quartier Q designed by Oswald Mathias Ungers (1996).(http://www.friedrichstrasse.de/)
The glass palace of the department store Galeries Lafayette (Quartier 207) impresses with its huge refractive glass cone on the inside. French fashion, fine perfume, French delicacies and small snack bars in the basement, fine accessories for the kitchen, all this can be found here by tourists.
Department stores can be sexy too. Anne Maria Jagdfeld proved this by opening Quartier 206, and is now renowned as the First Lady of good taste.
Quartier 206 is a shopping paradise behind art deco veneers and a black and white marble mosaic courtyard. You can purchase antiques and art, or simply enjoy an espresso in the fine and elaborate atmosphere.
At Quartier Q in quadratical and practical Bauhaus style important companies established, medical institutes as well as the Head Office of Coca-Cola Germany. On the 1st floor and in the basement many shops, restaurants and places for a short break after shopping, business lunch or space for culture are situated.
歐洲被害猶太人紀念碑Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas
Denkmal für die ermordeten Juden Europas is a memorial in Berlin to the Jewish victims of the Holocaust. It consists of a 19,000 m2 site covered with 2,711 stelae (concrete columns—bear no markings, such as names or dates), arranged in a grid pattern on a sloping field. The stelae are 2.38 m long, 0.95 m wide and vary in height from 0.2 to 4.8 m. According to Eisenman’s project text, the stelae are designed to produce an uneasy, confusing atmosphere, and the whole sculpture aims to represent a supposedly ordered system that has lost touch with human reason.
The journalist Lea Rosh and the historian Eberhard Jäckel had campaigned for the building of the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe since 1988. For a long time there were a lot of arguments about the Memorial. In 1999, the German Bundestag chose the design by Peter Eisenman, an architect from New York. Building began on April 1, 2003 and was finished on December 15, 2004. It was inaugurated on May 10, 2005, sixty years after the end of World War II, and opened to the public two days later. It is located one block south of the Brandenburg Gate, in the Friedrichstadt neighborhood. The cost of construction was approximately €25 million.
p.s. An attached underground— Ort der Information holds the names of all known Jewish Holocaust victims, obtained from the Israeli museum Yad Vashem. (http://www.stiftung-denkmal.de/en/home.html)