【Stephansdom】 The mighty Stephansdom marks the heart of Austria’s capital. Even today the cathedral’s Gothic south tower, ironically nicknamed Steffi (little Stephen), completed in the mid 15th century, still dominates the skyline.
The tall Gothic tower’s spire reaches a height of 137 meters; a staircase (418 steps) leads from the sacristy to the top. Opposite the Steffi is the unfinished north tower. By the time work on the tower was halted in 1511 the Gothic style had fallen out of favor and the new, fashionable Renaissance style was used to decorate the truncated tower with a belfry in 1556. The tower houses the Pummerin clock, originally cast in 1711 from the metal of captured Turkish cannons. The clock is the largest in the Stephansdom and even one of the largest in Europe. The roof of the cathedral is decorated with more than two hundred thousand glazed tiles. They form enormous mosaics depicting a double headed eagle (symbol of the Holy Roman Empire) and the coats of arms of Vienna and Austria.
【黑死病紀念柱 Pestsäule】— 全歐洲最大、最華麗的巴洛克式黑死病紀念柱 At the center of Graben stands the Pestsäule (Plague Column), also known as the Dreifaltigkeitssäule (Trinity Column). Construction of the column was commissioned by emperor Leopold I. During the terrible plague epidemic of 1679, which cost an estimated 100,000 lives, the desperate emperor prayed for help and vowed he would erect a memorial at the end of the epidemic. That same year a large cross was erected, later replaced with the current bombastic monument.
The monument was created between 1682 and 1692 after a Baroque design attributed to Johann Bernhard Fischer von Erlach, one of Austria’s most renowned architects. He sculpted six statues; others were created by Lodovico Burnacini and Paul Strudel.
The column’s central sculpture group shows allegorical figures depicting Faith defeating the Plague. Below is a statue of a praying emperor. The gilded sculpture group at the top represents the Holy Trinity, seated on a cloud. The monument is decorated with numerous statues of angels.
【聖彼得教堂 Peterskirche】— 維也納第二古老，也是最經典的巴洛克式風格教堂Peterskirche is a glorious high Baroque church situated in the inner city of Vienna, near the Graben shopping area. The church is known for its opulent interior with stucco and magnificent frescoes.
The current oval shaped structure was built between 1702 and 1733 after a design by Gabriele Montani. Other architects participated in the project and the church was probably completed by Johann Lukas von Hildebrandt.
p.s. St Rupert’s Church (Ruprechtskirche) sits on an escarpment overlooking St Rupert’s Square (Ruprechtsplatz). It is believed to be Vienna’s oldest church, founded in 740 AD by the disciples of St Rupert, the bishop of Salzburg.
【阿爾貝蒂娜博物館 Albertina Graphic Arts Collection】— 巴洛克式宮殿 The Albertina not only has the largest and most valuable graphical collections in the world, with works such as Dürer’s “Hare” and Klimt’s studies of women. The collection, which was established in 1776 by Duke Albert of Saxony-Teschen, a son-in-law of Empress Maria Theresia, comprises over one million prints and 60,000 drawings.